Monday, January 26, 2015

Coconut Chicken Curry

There is a Thai restaurant just around the corner that some of my coworkers introduced me to a few years ago. I fell head over heels for their Massaman curry. Rich and hearty with potatoes and onions paired with the delicate sweetness of coconut milk and spice of curry. It's a dish that I knew I needed in my weeknight repertoire.

This dish is incredibly adaptable to your personal taste. While I prefer to use jasmine rice, use what you have on hand. Customize your spice level by using a curry powder with more heat, or adding some finely diced peppers. Don't want to use chicken? Substitute with your favorite protein! I love this dish with both pork and beef, and it can easily be made vegetarian to suit your needs.

Coconut Chicken Curry
Serves Four

1 1/3 cup uncooked rice, cooked
3 medium white potatoes
1 medium onion
3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 13.5 oz. can of coconut milk
1 TBS and 2 tsp yellow curry powder
1 TBS canola oil
salt and pepper to taste
(optional) fresh flat leaf parley for garnish.

Set a medium saucepan filled with lightly salted water over medium/high heat. While the water comes to a boil, cube your potatoes, onion, and chicken into even pieces. Put the potato cubes into the now boiling water and cook for 12 minutes, or until fork tender. Drain and set aside.

While the potatoes are boiling, oil a heavy bottomed saute pan with canola oil and put over medium/high heat. Season the cubed chicken with salt and pepper to taste. Saute the onions just until they start to become translucent and add the chicken, browning on all sides. Add the can of coconut milk and bring to a simmer. Add the curry powder and simmer for 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Gently fold in the tender potatoes and test the sauce, adding more salt as necessary.

To plate, spoon the curry over a bed of rice and garnish with fresh parsley.

Do you have a restaurant favorite that you've adapted to cook at home?

4 comments :

  1. this sounds yummy! I try to cook Chinese food at home but it tastes horrible... I've tried 3x and I've just given up!

    Jessica
    the.pyreflies.org

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Chinese food is on my shortlist of techniques I really want to master this year. I'm hoping to take some classes and I will definitely report back. Don't give up!

      Delete